Sunday, February 16, 2020

Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman

genre: young adult science fiction

Year: 2380 Location: Milky Way

Five cadets fresh from The Academy.
One wild card who’s been asleep for the last two hundred years. 
A galaxy full of trouble to solve (cause?) and mysteries that these six can’t even imagine. 
With enough brains, guts and cooperation, this squadron could be exactly what the Aurora Legion needs to help keep the peace among the races inhabiting space. Except things get complicated really quickly and more than just teamwork and luck are going to be needed when one among them could be their undoing.

I couldn’t get enough of this space drama. I loved the unique voices of each of the characters as the narration shifted between them. I really liked how well defined the characters were and how their differently abled squadron members were fleshed out and capable. The plot moved so quickly and was intricate enough to really make me wonder what was coming next. There was one climactic scene that felt a bit underexplained to me, where I felt a little out of the loop, but other than that I was all in and didn’t want to put it down. I loved the world building and the finding-your-own-family aspect. The dialogue is sharp and witty and even though a few elements felt borrowed from some contemporary pop culture and there was a tiny bit of repetition in the narrative stream of consciousness, I cannot wait to see where this story goes next.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...