Thursday, November 28, 2019

Dogchild by Kevin Brooks

genre: ya dystopian

Jeet's world is a desolate one.  Living in an isolated community on the edge of survival, he knows that his fellow villagers don't really accept him.  His early life among the wild dogs that wander the wilderness and his subsequent "rehumanization" to the village means that he'll never be truly accepted.  When tragedy strikes his village, though, and he becomes privy to some information that affects how he views their rival village - he makes the choice to act.  And that choice is going to lead Jeet and his whole community to a final breaking point.

First off, this is a really long book.  I read it on my Kindle so I didn't have much of a sense of how long it would be until I'd been reading for so long and realized I was only at 30%!  I feel like it could've been much shorter and still have been an interesting story.  Because it IS an interesting story - I liked Jeet's dog connection and how his life among them as a child influences his present day character development.  I liked setting and even the plot is good, I just often found the length it took to make things happen (especially battles) made me loose my interest.  Also, I wanted MORE BACKSTORY.  More on the entire world but most especially WHY there are two rival, kill-each-other-until-we-are-all-destroyed villages.  I had a hard time investing in their feud - it all seemed so useless!  The first thing we learn about Jeet's village is that they have a deadly rival village....and that's all we ever really learn about it.  Also, part of Jeet's character is that he somehow is unable to use English grammar, which just irked my eyeballs every time.

It's telling, though, that despite all these things that frustrated me, I still finished it because I wanted to know what happened.  Readers who enjoy dystopian stories and who are just less picky that me will probably enjoy it. So, not a waste of time, just not a book I could let my brain and my disbelief relax into.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...