Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson

genre: contemporary fiction

Guided by her Uncle Billy, within the stacks of Prospero Books Miranda learned to love the written word.  But on Miranda's twelfth birthday, Uncle Billy, whose love of scavenger hunts made him endlessly endearing, mysteriously disappears from her life.   Not until she's an adult living on the opposite coast in Philadelphia does Miranda get any inkling of Uncle Billy's whereabouts and by then it's too late.  He's died and left her one last scavenger hunt to solve; one that will take her back not just to her childhood home in Los Angeles but also back in time, as she tries to figure out what in the world happened to him.

I liked this mystery/love letter to the written word!!  I liked that there wasn't a murder at the heart of it but that there was still a maze of questions to be answered.  I did guess it about 2/3 through but because I am a sucker for books about books and book lovers, I didn't get bored of it.  I really loved all the literary references, the Shakespeare love and how grounded the story is in the LA area.  Miranda isn't a super lovable protagonist and sometimes her thoughts were a little repetitive but overall, I knew I wanted to read the story of family and books until it was over. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...