Thursday, August 1, 2019

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

genre: adult fiction



Anthony collects lost things. After losing something precious to him, he takes it upon himself to collect objects he finds and catalogue them in order to hopefully help someone someday. He's used these trinkets as the basis for the short stories he's spent his career writing.

Laura has been lost in an existential way, and when she finds a job as Anthony's woman-of-all-work, she loves the peaceful life she's found working in his home.

In another time period, we meet Eunice, Eunice who knows something (or someone) good when she's found it.

The way these three characters and their lives will intertwine is the crux of this book. The HEART, of this book, though, is love and friendship - appreciating it in whatever form you can find it, whether from a neighbor or lover, a pet or an employer.

I'm having a super hard time finding a way to express my thoughts about this story! I found it absolutely charming and readable. Do I wish that the female characters had been a little more tough with a bit more backbone? Yes, although both of them worked things out to a certain extent. I was surprised a little by the rather supernatural turn in the middle of the book, it's not a ghost story but I wasn't prepared for a little woo-woo ghosty times. However, it didn't really upset the flow of the story and I got so engaged in it that I did have actual tears at the end. I loved how the two storylines combined. I loved a secondary next door neighbor character whose quirky and literal nature made for some cute misunderstandings.


I'm glad a friend recommended it to me because it hit the spot this summer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...