Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (audiobook)

genre: mythology, fiction

I looked at a lot of different books to read for the “mythology” prompt for a book challenge I’m doing this year. Most of them were novels based in myth and in the end I decided I want to go back further to the myths themselves. Who better to read myths in his own words to me than Neil Gaiman?

These are the myths of Thor and Odin, of Loki and Asgard and Ragnarok. They are stories of giants and serpents, chariots pulled by goats and apples that can bestow endless youth. Heros betray and are betrayed, mead is drunk, challenges are extended and accepted, battles are fought and along the way, sense is made of the natural world. Gaiman is a master storyteller and while there are a lot of unfamiliar names and places, he does a good job of helping us as readers to keep everything straight. I enjoyed this compilation of stories.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...