Sunday, June 9, 2019

The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye

genre: middle grade

When the infant Princess Amethyst has the honor of being given a gift by a fairy, so many possibilities come to mind - beauty, kindness, patience. What NO one expected was the gift of being...ordinary. It’s hard to imagine how much this might throw a palace for a loop! As Amy grows and learns what she loves, she finds that it is mostly OUTSIDE the palace and when the opportunity arises to create a different life for herself, she grabs it.

This little pink paperback book was such a part of my childhood. I can see my eleven year old self, lying on my bed after church, reading it over and over. I think I really connected with Amy’s ordinariness and the fact that it became her strength. It’s cute and romantic, a bit cheesy and predictable but so perfect for the audience it’s designed for. I couldn’t have picked a better “nostalgia” book for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...