Monday, September 17, 2018

House of Shadows by Nicola Cornick

genre: historical mystery/romance

When Holly's brother Ben goes missing, she doesn't even really know where to start looking in the little town where he'd been living.  Between an old diary from a former resident of the town as well as the infamous Winter Queen and her consort from the 17th century, two relics that seem to have power of their own will tie these distinct time periods together.  Can Holly keep herself safe when it seems as though time is sloshing around in her head?

This book is a pretty mixed bag.  On the one hand, I do love historical fiction that pops between two time periods and makes connections between them.  And there was a nice-ish romance in the modern portions.  But those connections I usually like?  They just didn't really flow for me, there were plot holes that were frustrating and Holly is just not as strong of a heroine as I wanted her to be.  The paranormal-ness just never actually worked for me - it was there but then not and not really discussed again, which left me asking questions that distracted me from the story.  Although the ending felt a bit jarring and rushed, I'm giving it two and a half stars because I liked it enough that I DID read the whole thing but if I compare it to a Kate Morton or especially a Susanna Kearsley, I just think this genre can be done in a tighter and more enjoyable way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...