Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

genre: memoir

If you don't know who Princess Leia is, then maybe you have been living under a rock because even if you're not a Star Wars FAN, per say, it's hard to make it through life not learning about it.  I, myself, am a fan :)  I read this book hoping to learn some behind-the-scenes tidbits about the making of the original Star Wars and learn a bit about Carrie's life.  I did get a little of that.  But mostly I got to see that time period in Carrie's life through the lens of her memory and her actual diaries that she found from that time.  Her affair with Harrison Ford is a major (nearly encompassing) theme, as her younger self was constantly trying to process (through some quite good poetry) her feelings about him and about herself as a teen with a married, older man. 

I did really appreciate Carrie's reflections on celebrity and on her own demons as she grew older and was no longer that skinny 19 year old everyone always wanted her to keep being.  Her writing is snarky in the extreme (sometimes too much for me) but very readable and this one read quickly.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...