Sunday, May 13, 2018

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

genre: fiction, children's literature

Everything I wrote last time I reviewed this book still is relevant.  I found myself being more introspective this time, trying to imagine how hard this life must've been for Pa and Ma, how desperate things might've seemed.  How lonely.  I really felt empathetic towards Ma and the sacrifices she made.  I had SO MANY great talks with my five year olds during this book.  I did censor a LITTLE bit of the American Indian parts, I don't need them to hear "the only good Indian is a dead Indian." So while we alternated between the audiobook and the actual book, I always made sure to read those chapters aloud so that I could form our discussion about the topic on their level.  But they ATE IT UP.  All of it. Again, I worried it would get dull but they were just all in.  Laura is an inquisitive main character and while much of what happens is completely out of her control, reading about it through her eyes makes this a uniquely pleasing story.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...