Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Scarlet Pimpernel Emmuska Orczy (audiobook)

genre: historical fiction


I was only 15 when I fell in love with the movie the Scarlet Pimpernel. Then I fell in love with the music and saw the musical, which was phenomenal. For some reason, though, when I tried the book many years ago I couldn’t get into it. This time, though, my 12-year-old is reading it for his middle school English class and so I decided to try again. Oh my goodness. I should have persevered last time. I loved it!

Who is the elusive Pimpernel? That dashing hero saving beleaguered aristocrats from the blade of the guillotine? Well, isn’t that the mystery? For Marguerite St. Just, the Scarlet Pimpernel is everything she wishes she had in a husband. Instead, Sir Perceval Blakeney is more than a bit of a Who is the elusive pimpernel? That dashing hero saving beleaguered aristocrats from the blade of the guillotine? Well, isn’t that the mystery? For my cure songs used in, the scar the pimpernel is everything she wishes she had in a husband. Instead, Sir Percy Blakeney is more than a bit of a fop and their relationship is shallow and unfeeling.  But when her brother gets caught up in the intrigue, suddenly Marguerite no longer has the luxury of admiring the Scarlet Pimpernel's deeds from a far. She is soon in the thick of the horror that is the French revolution and knowing the identity of that scoundrel my be her only hope.

I found myself drawn into Margurite’s cares, I fell for the romance of it all. The last third of the book really had me dying to know what would happen. Was it repetitive? Yes, sometimes. Is there some intense anti-Semitism? Yeah, that was bristling. But the STORY. The deception and intrigue. The whole ending is so different than the movie that it was exciting to see how it would work out.

Now, I must rewatch my beloved film!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...