Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage

genre: non-fiction

When my daughter told me I had to buy this Summer Reading book for her AP World History class, I was intrigued. The history of the world as it relates to six specific beverages?

It totally works.

Beginning with beer and working our way through wine, spirits, coffee, tea and Coca-Cola, we follow our world through the Neolithic and ancient ages, through the Greeks and the Romans, through Colonizations and Revolutions to the age of true Globalization. A few statements seem like a bit of a stretch but for the most part, Standage makes a strong case for these drinks both being present while history is created and in some cases, being the reason for significant history itself.

I liked this take for a history book - it lent itself well to a smooth chronology and there are a lot of interesting little tidbits and a LOT of familiar names and events that are tied in nicely.  My favorite section was probably the coffee one, mostly because it was all so new to me - I had no idea how integral a role the "coffeehouse" played.

While it isn't particularly witty and the writing didn't blow my mind or anything, this really was an interesting read full of the sorts of random facts that I enjoy learning.


1 comment:

Car Accident Lawyers Website said...

Personally, for and casual or professional history oriented person, this is a must read. You will not be quite the same afer reading it and, for me anyway, it was for the better.

Bottoms up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...