Wednesday, November 2, 2016

With Malice by Eileen Cook (audiobook)

genre: young adult thriller

When Jill wakes up in a hospital room, injured and sore, she has no memory of what happened. No memory not only of the accident itself, but even the weeks that came before that are blank. As she is slowly told the details of an event so unknown to her that it might as well have happened to someone else, an even greater tragedy takes her to the breaking point. What in the world happened to Jill and her best friend Simone on a trip to Italy that Jill doesn't even remember taking?

I don't typically read murder mysteries but this one intrigued me. Unreliable narrators make for an interesting unraveling and I even was ok with how this ended. I liked the format of the novel - with letters and transcripts and blog posts. There were some things I didn't guess ahead of time and Jill rang true as an 18 year old female protagonist. Her voice and feelings were spot on, most of the time. Annoying, but spot on. I'm not dying to read more of the same genre but this held my attention and the reader was good with the different accents - even her Chicago accent was good.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...