Friday, March 18, 2016

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

genre: young adult science fiction

Etta is on the cusp of a life as a true professional violinist, a dream come true.  But on the night of one pivotal performance, everything she knows is turned inside out and she very suddenly finds herself not only in an unfamiliar place, but an unfamiliar time.  In short order, Etta learns that the life she's known is absolutely nothing like reality and the people she's always trusted have kept a grand secret from her that has now come to light.  And Etta has a huge problem to solve that will take her both miles and centuries from home.

On the one hand, I liked it, in the sense that I was always happy to pick it up and see what happens next.  The love interest (NOT triangle, thank goodness) is of a different race than Etta and that made things a bit more interesting - the romance was mostly believable and the overarching plot is dramatic and intense.  The time-travel devise worked well, for the most part.  But then other times, it didn't.  I found myself having a hard time suspending my disbelief on occasion and sometimes a bit of dialogue just came enough from left field far enough that I found myself reading a sentence two, three times to make sure I'd understood.  I liked visiting different places and times but again, sometimes the intricacies of the "time travel" scenario felt a bit forced and hard to wrap my brain around in a way that made enough sense.  Sometimes I just moved on, assuming it would work itself out.  I'm glad I finished it but I DO wish I'd looked to find out that it's only the first in a series because with a book that long, I'd really have thought it would stand alone.  Alas, I will have to wait to find out more.  If I read good enough reviews of the second book, I do think I'm interested enough to find out where it goes from here.

3.5 stars for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...