Thursday, January 28, 2016

Books I've Given Up On Part 3

I am Malala - I am ashamed.  I really am.  I don't know why this just didn't grab me. I loved the narrator's voice, and I think Malala is AMAZING.  She's an incredible girl with a grit I can't even imagine.  I just never wanted to listen to it.  I had it on my audible for TWO MONTHS and listened for TWO HOURS in that two months and I finally just returned it.  I think it's all the Pakistani history.  It just wasn't taking me away from the toddler twins the way I needed it to.  Maybe I'll try again someday with a paper copy instead of the audiobook.  Because her story really is incredible.

These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer - I love Heyer but in the first chapter one gentleman was referred two by FOUR different names and the person he was talking to was called two different names and for the love of Pete I got annoyed trying to figure out who was talking to whom.  I just didn't care about the plot and that's okay.  I've got another one of hers in my queue that I'm pretty sure I'll love.

Red: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf by Reese Reed - for me, the accent and Amish-type way of speaking for several of the characters, was hard for me to swallow, as well as some colloquialisms that just jarred me out of the world she was trying to create.  Also, I needed more back story to feel some kind of investment in Red as the story begins.  The main character's journey into a fantasy world is a good idea I just wasn't in love with the execution - but others may like it.

The Westhampton Leisure Hour and Supper Club by Samantha Bruce-Benjamin - Wordy.  SO WORDY.  I read so many pages and have been told SO MUCH and yet all I can tell you is that their marriage was horrible (for reasons I don't know) and there was a secret (a big one, based on how much we talk about it) but NOTHING IS HAPPENING.  Sorry.  I've tried twice to get into this one but I am done trying.  I think there is going to be a big storm and that intrigues me but it is taking so dang long for there to be any actual plot that I give up.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...