Friday, February 27, 2015

Ticker by Lisa Mantchev

genre: young adult steampunk

Penelope Farthing has cheated death.  In the place of her failing heart, the genius Warwick gave her a new mechanical one: her ticker.  In becoming the first of the "Augmented," Penny found herself at the center of the battle between those who support the progress of Augmentation and those who demand flesh and blood purity.   When Warwick begins using evil methods to further his work, his trial incites a trail of mayhem and mystery that demands Penny take action.  And take action she does, our Penny, with her genius brother Nic, her sidekick Violet the punkish baker as well as a few other delightful characters that will charm the pants off you if you let them.

So, you should know that I am a fan of steampunk.  The Victorian/mechanical twist just works for me, especially when you've got the formal attitudes with a huge dash of snark and wit. There is nothing about this story I didn't enjoy, Penny is swashbuckling and tough - and her mechanical heart made her vulnerable in a way that you can't help but sympathize with. There were a few good twists and the plot moved quickly.   No, my life isn't changed but I had many lovely out-loud chuckles to myself over Penny's dialogue and I do feel happier, so that's worth four stars to me.


note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...