Thursday, January 22, 2015

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust: A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley (audiobook)

genre: mystery

This is the seventh Flavia de Luce book, and if you haven't already read the others (which you should) you probably wouldn't find this book much fun.  There would be too much that's over your head.  However, as someone who has been devoted to Flavia for many years now, I was so happy to hear Jayne Entwistle speaking to me again.

Flavia has been sent away from home to a boarding school in Canada.  Not surprisingly, she's not there 24 hours before she's in the vicinity of another corpse.  This time, however, being both far from home and away from the usual characters, the story is invigorating and unique.  She has to get very creative to gather clues and it's hard to know who to trust, both students and staff.  I enjoyed being in a new place and the mystery itself wrapped up as interestingly as I could've hoped, even if I must admit there are small pieces I still don't really "get."  Truth be told, I listen for Flavia herself, not really for the mystery.  I just think that she's quirky and snarky and I love her tone, especially during her monologues.  I wish we'd seen a little more chemistry work, but being away from Uncle Tar's laboratory did make it more difficult.

My only complaint is that, with the audio this time, I had a harder time keeping all of the new characters straight - in a boarding school there are SO many people!  All new!  Eventually I sorted it out and it didn't spoil it, I just noticed I wasn't always sure of who people were.

I will listen to more.  I will listen to Flavia until there is no Flavia left to listen to.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...