Friday, July 11, 2014

Scan by Walter Jury and Sarah Fine

genre: science fiction

Tate's father is hard core.  Demanding and exacting, he's raised Tate to be strong and intelligent and not a little resourceful. McGyver-type resourceful.  And it's going to come in handy because one unfortunate choice brings to a crashing halt not just Tate's safety but also everything he's ever believed about his life.

This was an unsolicited arc sent to my house.  I almost didn't read it because it sounded a bit cheesy, but it was described as a cross between McGyver and War of the Worlds, both of which I like in a strange way. So I tried.  And I liked!  I totally want some more! There are aliens!  Bad guys!  Maybe-I-can't-trust-you good guys! Strange technologies and explosives made from Walmart junk!  I'm not kidding.  The plot grabbed me.  There are too many swears at the beginning but for a male protagonist, he felt his emotions deep enough that I believed them (ok, sometimes being in a teenage male head got annoying but I still wanted to keep reading). I just took my disbelief and suspended it, baby, and had a nice fluffy ride.


note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...