Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (audiobook)

genre: adult fiction

We meet our narrator when he is an adult, visiting his hometown. When he lets his memory take him back to the Hempstock farm, he slowly begins to remember the happenings of a few essential childhood days.  Days in which he is taught by the women of Hempstock farm about the fragility of life's fabric how creatures from one place manage to sneak into another.  And those creatures can change everything.

I listen to Neil Gaiman books, because his voice is dreamy in the extreme. I listen to Neil Gaiman books because I never know where he is going to take me and I am surprised every time.  This story was essentially told from the point of view of a seven year old boy and his tone, his thought-processes, his actions were so totally believable.  Parts FREAKED me right out and other parts amazed me with their intricacy. Every once and a while I wanted things to happen faster but somehow, it never changed how I felt about what I was hearing.   Gaiman's words are just a magical symphony of imagination and nightmare, all rolled into a world that looks like ours on the outside.

He's amazing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...