Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Speaking From Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley (audiobook)

genre: mystery

The game is afoot once again in the village of Bishop's Lacey.   To her delight, Flavia de Luce once again stumbles upon a corpse, this time when she is itching to spy the bones of her beloved church's St. Tancred - their patron saint.  Using her spot-on intuition and ability to wheedle her way into any home, Flavia's questioning soon leads to other mysteries, all while she tries to come to terms with the fact that her home Buckshaw is on the verge of being sold.

I cannot get enough of Jayne Entwistle reading to me about Flavia.  While the mystery is obviously the biggest portion of the book, there was also a lot of tenderness in this installment, which I really liked.  The selling of Buckshaw is a huge blow to Flavia and her relationship with her sisters deepens as they all worth through their grief.  I love the parts where Flavia is investigating, her internal dialogue is so fantastic. And the reveal is always splendid - I love the counterpoint between what she says and what she's thinking.  What Bradley does well is make me care about Flavia.  I'm not a mystery reader, I never pick them up unless its for bookclub, EXCEPT Flavia.  Because I care about her.  I find her spunky and I believe in her brilliance, which is just some dang good writing.   There was a little redundancy in the writing this time, I thought, but it didn't really bother me that much - I know he was just trying to help me keep everything straight.  This was a pretty involved story!  And while I guessed the cliffhanger very early on, it still pleased me when it happened.

Yes, to more Flavia!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...