Saturday, June 8, 2013

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

genre: middle grade fantasy

Harry.  You have been a part of my life for so long that I sometimes momentarily forget that you are not real.  Your story is such a part of the fabric of our family's conversation, ever since my 13 year old Sheely was eight years old and I read the first volume of your series out loud to her.  When Xavier was 8, I read it out loud to him and poor Preston has been dying to understand it all for years.  I just knew that it would be so much for fun for him if I wanted until he was ready.

I was right.

We spent many snuggly evenings in his bed, reading about how you learned you could do magic, and how you got to leave your crazy family and go live at a boarding school for wizards.  I scared the pants off of Preston when you had scary adventures in the woods and some nights Preston begged for me to read to him while he soaked in the tub and his laughter at some of your crazy antics was ringing in that little room.  He now knows all about that crabby Snape, tender Hagrid, creepy Voldemort and especially about your good friends Ron and Hermione and how they helped you to solve the mystery of the stone.

We just don't get tired of you.

Preston has already started reading The Chamber of Secrets all by himself, which is just how it should be.  Thank you for bringing our family so much pleasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post. My oldest just turned 8 & I've been WAITING to share Harry with him too. Thanks for all the great reviews.

Marlene Detierro said...

I think that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was great. I would read it all over again if I wasn't reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I think that you will love this book as much as I did. Even though most would think that it is for children, it is for everyone. I believe that J.K. Rowling is a great writer, and that she should keep writing more books about Harry Potter. You will enjoy this book so much, I couldn't put it down, so I decided to buy boxed set. You will love Harry and Rowling!

Marlene
Customer recommendations for Movers in San Antonio website

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...