Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

genre: nonfiction

Freakonomics.  That's a snappy little title. It made me just want to try it, so I got a sample on my Kindle and after just reading the introduction I was hooked.

This book is a mishmash of all kinds of bizarre topics and the only thread running through it is that our authors ask some bizarre questions and use actual data to get the answers.  Not such a unique idea, that, but it's the questions themselves and objectiveness of the discussion that makes this interesting.

I really had shied away from this initially because economics doesn't really interest me in the slightest, but what the authors do is really just de-mystify and pick apart some of our assumptions. Crime, real-estate, school performance - why do things happen in a certain way and are there pieces we can control enough to create the change we want?

This book was incredibly readable.  The style is casual and yes, your thinking will be thrown for a loop.  Great stuff.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...