Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

genre: children's literature

Mrs. Frisby is a widowed field mouse and she's got a problem.  She has a very ill child that must stay in bed but if she doesn't get her family to a safer place, their home with all of them in it will be destroyed.  With the help of a few interesting characters, she finally gets in contact with the one group of animals that might be able to help: the rats that live under the rose bush.

Of course, they aren't just ANY rats and a good part of this story is theirs, learning about how they came to be special and what Mrs. Frisby's husband has to do with that.  I love Mrs. Frisby for her dedication to her children, her willingness to do all kinds of terrifying things in order to protect the life of her little Timothy.  She is a strong character.  The backstory with the rats is pretty interesting, I liked the part about their experience at NIMH.

It did get a little long, for me, but my 7 year old son was always eager for another chapter.  Some of it felt a little bit deep for him but he didn't seem to mind :)  I actually like how the book ends better than the movie, it's also not as creepy.  I will say, though, that the movie is definitely a favorite from my childhood.  Actually, and I couldn't read Jeremy's lines without hearing Dom DeLuise in my head.  I'm glad that I can tuck this one under my belt but I probably won't read it again.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I don't think I've ever read the book or seen the movie.

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Ashamed...have never read this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...