Tuesday, November 13, 2012

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

genre: young adult dystopia

As the daughter of a landowning Luddite, Elliot could have spent her days in lazy abandon, in a future world where technology has been spurned in order to save human civilization.  Elliot, however, has grander plans than that and despite her broken heart, she's always been able to put her feelings on the shelf and get the job done.  That is, she was able to until some new neighbors reopen a wound and force her to decide what path she needs to follow to stay true to what she really feels.

Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen book, so when I heard this was a twist on that story, I knew I wanted to try it.  Unfortunately, BECAUSE it's my favorite Austen, I think my expectations were a little too high.  It's a fine enough story, but Elliot's ten times more frustrating my beloved Anne Elliot and her thinking was sometimes repetitive enough to drive me crazy.  I liked the world building and the science-fictiony part of the story but truthfully, the romance felt flat to me and by the end I just felt like I'd been mildly entertained, not really satisfied.

It was a fine way to spend the HOURS and HOURS of nursing I've been doing lately - and if you've read Persuasion it's fun just to see how she executes a totally different version of the story - but if you're short on reading time, I'd probably pass.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...