Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce

genre: young adult fantasy

My sister has been telling me to try Tamora Pierce for ages.  I don't know what was holding me back, but I finally told her I was ready and asked which one she liked the best that I should start with.  She recommended this one, Tricker's Choice.  And wowza.

Aly is the daughter of a famous warrior and a spy (my understanding is that her mother is the central figure in many of Pierce's books, but I didn't need to have read any of them for this to be a great read).  Having been schooled in all the arts of both her parents, what she wants most is for the exciting part of her life to begin.  It certainly does, but NOT in the way she would necessarily have chosen.  She soon ends up as a slave in a household on the edge of some crazy royal intrigue and it doesn't take long until her skills are recognized as incredibly useful.  With a God directing her to protect the daughters of this family and a fantastical crow-boy watching her back, Aly's involvement in the politics of her new home will force her use every trick she was ever taught to help those she cares about to survive.

Talk about girl-power!  Aly is a powerful heroine, headstrong and capable.  The world she lives in has so much magic in it, its history so rich.  I will say that it took me a few chapters to feel like I wasn't drowning in information and if ONLY I had noticed the cast of characters and glossary at the end!  I didn't find it until I was finished reading!  It would've helped - this is a LAYERED fantasy with a large cast of characters, both human and creature.  Once I felt settled in, I didn't want to put it down. Period.  Awesome fighting, awesome intrigue, awesome tension, great little romantic thread that I hope to see explored in the next book.  I must know what happens next.  Yes, I have already requested it from the library.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

3 comments:

Melissa said...

And now you need to read the Song of the Lioness quartet. And I liked the Bekka Cooper books as well. :-)

erin sheely said...

I am so glad you liked it!!!

Shannon said...

This was my first Tamora Pierce too! And then I read all the rest of the Tortall books. The Dane series (Wild Magic?) is my favorite <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...