Sunday, August 19, 2012

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

genre: young adult fantasy

Abhorsen is the final book in a trilogy (a fantastic trilogy, I might add).  It follows Sabriel and Lirael, both of which I highly recommend.

Abhorsen begins exactly where we have left off in Lirael - the Destroyer is on the verge of regaining its' infinitely destructive powers and only Lirael and Sam, with the help of their magical animal companions, are able to stop it.  I worry that this little description sounds trite, but be very aware that these are NOT light books.  Death is, as in the other two books, a very real place where things don't stay put as they should and where evils as old as the earth are capable of escaping and wreaking havoc on those that still have blood in their veins.

The battle between good and evil in this final book is powerful and intense.  I love that Nix doesn't ever waste my time - the story moves along swiftly and our main characters are such intriguing people with such different strengths.  I just really love this whole world, in fact, when I closed the book I found myself almost groggily coming back to this real one, I felt that ensconced.  If you appreciate finely-tuned fantasy, I'd definitely begin at the beginning with Sabriel.


note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...