Friday, June 29, 2012

The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson

genre: young adult historical Christian romance

Annabel was raised the fine daughter of a merchant - educated and well-mannered, life was good until her family lost everything.  Now, to pay off her family's debts, she has been indentured to the Lord le Wyse, a reportedly cruel man who is both scarred and fierce.  Not only is she becoming a servant, but she feels her own safety is at risk because the one man she truly fears - her medieval town's bailiff -is a member of the Lord le Wyse's household.  How could a loving God deal out such a cruel fate?  Annabel truly wants to understand and longs for a real understanding of God's word and how he deals with his children.  Soon, she has a chance to learn all about forgiveness, love and second chances.

It took me a while of reading before I figured out that hey, this is just really a clean and Christian romance novel.  There is nothing wrong with that, it just wasn't quite what I was expecting.   While the setting is clearly medieval, mostly it is the story of two hurt people who fall in love.  It was the internal drama that finally tipped me off that this wasn't supposed to really be more than that - and once I realized it, I just zipped through it without being so frustrated by the slow pacing of the story.  I did like the Christian angle (being a Christian myself), so it was nice to have a female main character that wanted religion and God to be a part of her life - and a romantic story that isn't graphic is nice too.  It certainly wasn't a waste of time, it just isn't one that will necessarily stick with me either.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...