Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

genre: young adult fantasy

In Ana's world, you know that when you die, you will be reborn.  Into a different body, yes, but reincarnated with the same soul.  You will have a little catching up to do but soon you will be able to build on what you learned in your last life and your community is full of people doing the same thing.  After thousands of years, you all know each other's souls practically as intimately as you know your own.

And therein lies Ana's problem: she is new.  A nosoul.  When she was born she replaced a soul that had been reincarnated for millennia.  This did not make her popular.  In fact, it made her a pariah and her "mother" took her away from the protected city to live a harsh and lonely life on the outskirts.  Eventually, Ana decides that the risks of leaving and trying to return to the city that rejected her are worth the price if she can just find out who she really is and how it is that she managed to be born anyway.

Interesting premise, yes?  I think it is positively fascinating.  The IDEA of this story, of a society of people who are constantly reborn into their own personalities and strengths, continuing to live a life together, facing crazy freaky dragons and other mystical creatures that want to destroy them - wow.  That's just pretty unique in my reading experience.  And while I don't think it is the strongest book in terms of writing (pretty repetitive and sometimes mildly cheesy) and character development (Ana sometimes drove me a little crazy and her "mother" was TOO much) I cannot deny that I didn't want to do anything but read it until it was done.  So, if you are a lover of young adult fantasy, don't have crazy high expectations and I think that you'll enjoy your time with this one.  I liked it enough, especially for the love story, that I will pick up the sequel that I am guessing will come.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

It's too bad the writing doesn't live up to the story's promise. I think that cover is fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...