Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

genre: young adult

There was an accident. That's all Jenna knows. And she only knows it because her parents have told her - since waking up from her coma, she has no memories of anything. She slowly tries to piece together her current life: learning about the people who say they are her parents, becoming comfortable in her home, getting used to walking again. Somewhere in this process, bits and snatches of her past begin to come back at the same time that Jenna tries to figure out who the new Jenna is.


I'm going to stop here and if you haven't read it and you like young adult books, I'd suggest going to your nearest public library or independent bookstore and read it before reading any more of my review. I read it knowing nothing about it and really enjoyed the journey. While I was able to guess at some things - it still gripped me.





Okay. Wow, this book is a ride. In a biotech future, Jenna Fox's world is a place where if we can imagine it, we can make it - but we can't always control the consequences. This book is so full of philosophical questions, it almost made my head hurt. What part of us is there that is truly our essence, which part is it that we can call human? Is there a time to stop the progress of medical technology or does everyone have a right to a long and full llife? OOHH I love the ethical discussions, much like Unwound by Neal Shusterman. Totally different plot, but similar questions.

So, I liked it a lot. Interesting characters. A poetic and purposeful writing style. So many things to think about.

book 28 for the 2010 Young Adult Challenge

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I stopped where you suggested because I've been wanting to read this book for a while. Thanks for the warning.

Sarah said...

I read this back at the beginning of the year and I totally agree with everything you said!! I love books that not only are engaging storytelling-wise but have these ethic questions that could really happen! That is why I like Jodi Piccult's books too. (sorry if I butchered that spelling...too lazy to go check it!)

I'm going to go find Unwound by Neal Shusterman now and add it to my pile on my nightstand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...