Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst

genre: young adult/middle grade
book 12 of the Young Adult Reading Challenge 2010

Something creepy lives under Julie's bed: the Wild, that magical realm of fairy tales and stories, where bad guys are really bad and the princesses always do the right thing. And when the Wild escapes and those that Julie loves get caught up in it, it's up to Julie to fight her way through the stories and put the Wild back in its place.

OH what a clever premise. Sometimes it took a little mind-bending for me to fully appreciate the depth of it, such an interesting alternate reality. I love reading about fairy tale characters in a different context, and this was such a unique take on the fairy tale world. Sometimes the pacing was a tiny bit off for me - a few parts went by too fast, but it absolutely kept me reading. Julie is a sympathetic character and its certainly a "girl power" sort of story. Between the girl power and the fairy tale peeps, I had a fun time reading this one.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, good. :-D I love Sarah Beth Durst's storytelling; she has such a wonderful imagination.

Fyrefly said...

I just mooched a copy of this one, so it's nice to hear that it'll be a fun read.

bermudaonion said...

I love a good girl power story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...