Monday, January 18, 2010

Review: Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison

genre: young adult

Georgia Nicolson is 14. Well, practically 15. And along with everything else that goes with being practically 15, she's got a psychotic cat, completely out-of-it parents and a little sister who likes to hide her dirty nappies in Georgia's bed. Honestly.

The diary-format of the book is brilliant and SO practically 15. Georgia and her pals are snarky and irreverent, boy-crazy and mostly interested in looking as perfect as possible. When she's not fussing about the size of her nose or the beautiful boy she wants as her boyfriend, she is trying to survive in her crazy household. To be completely truthful, sometimes this book made me laugh so hard that I once nearly choked on my mouthwash while reading. Partly it's just the fabulous British writing style and words like "nuddy-pants" that slay me, but partly Georgia is just so...wacky and smart-alecky.

No uncomfortable topic of conversation is taboo in Georgia's diary, so beware, this is not a book for the faint of heart. If you don't want to read about the size of her mother's chest or other tidbits, than I probably would stay away. But somehow, when Georgia talks about things in her careless, British-teenager-y way, it is hilarious. If you like re-living the horror of shaving off your eyebrows, being obsessed with finding your first real boyfriend or learning how to kiss, then this will be a lovely romp down memory lane for you.

book 3 of 25 for the 2010 young adult challenge

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a fun book! The title is hilarious too.

Tricia said...

Too funny! My babysitter was reading this one night and I think she was embarrassed about it. She blamed the librarian for giving it to her!

Anna said...

I was wondering about this! I guess this is a movie they've been marketing on Nick. I had no idea it was a book, too.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Shanda McKeehan said...

Just the title of this book makes me laugh! I'll have to try it.

Melissa said...

Sold! Getting it from the library...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...