Monday, February 2, 2009

Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

genre: adult fiction/chick lit
rating:3/5

I suppose you can guess the plot of this book from the title. Rebecca is a bit obsessed with shopping (can you feel the drips from my sarcasm?) Her daily shopping sprees have run her into a pound or two of debt, which she manages to put out of her mind by: shopping some more! Her shopping prowess and command of London style serves her well as she searches the urban jungle for the "perfect" scarf, luggage, make-up etc. etc. etc. to make her feel as good as new once again.

She is bored to tears by her job doing, ironically enough, financial writing and she spends much thought on how to improve her circumstances. Cut back? Make more money? Marry a millionaire? All are options to be tested out.

I loved the first person narrative of this book - it slayed me, making me laugh out loud. Her constant stream of consciousness monologue is witty and incredibly entertaining. It's a fine piece of chick lit fluff. Sometimes she drove me batty with her rationalizing and dishonesty - as well as her ability to get into horrible situations. A couple times I had to just set down the book and take a quick break because of the horribleness. But, I was enjoying myself all the while, of course :)

10 comments:

Tricia said...

I read these books about 4 years ago. They were a fun escape, but I had to take breaks from her too!

Shelley said...

This was so funny and entertaining! I mostly had a problem with her lying. But I just kept telling myself it was all in good fun. I wonder if the movie will be any good.

Shelley said...

This was so funny and entertaining! I mostly had a problem with her lying. But I just kept telling myself it was all in good fun. I wonder if the movie will be any good.

Corinne said...

Shelley - thank you for commenting! I the dishonesty bothered me too and I had meant to include that in my review. Thanks ;)

Anonymous said...

I read all the books in this series a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. If I did stop to think for a while, there were many things about the books that irked me.. but i decided to ignore them all and enjoy the books.. it is a fun series!

bermudaonion said...

This is a fun book, even when it gets a little absurd.

Ondo Lady said...

I thought this book was hilarious. Becky is such a nutcase that you cannot help but admire her battiness. I read it in a few hours and it is escapism in it's best form and nothing else. Can't wait to see the film. :)

Laura said...

This is definitely a fluff book! I read The Undomestic Goddess on my last vacation--both books are just fun! Are you planning to see the Shopaholic movie?

Serena said...

I've read all of the books in this series and I loved the series. I can't wait to see the movie. Are you looking forward to it as well?

Corinne said...

Serena - I actually picked the book up because I saw the trailer for the movie and thought it looked funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...