Thursday, September 4, 2008

Evernight by Claudia Gray

1 of 1 for the R.I.P Challenge III
rating: 3/5 stars
genre: horror, young adult romance

Bianca's arrival at her new boarding school, Evernight, leaves her feeling anything but cheery. The gloomy, gothic and secluded school certainly doesn't look like the place where a shy and withdrawn girl could fit in and fall in love. Of course, things aren't always as they seem on the outside - and Evernight is full of secrets. Not only that, but Bianca's first relationship becomes increasingly complicated as the school year goes by. One secret leads to more secrets and suddenly a massive plot twist is thrown our way - things get bloody (of the "I want to suck your blood" variety) and sides are taken in a battle where it's hard to decide who is the "bad guy."

The thing with this book that increasingly bothered me is its similarity to the book Twilight and its sequels. It's not identical - but it almost feels like it was written to ride the wave of young adult vampire lovers. Complete with a scene at the beginning that flashes forward to the end, an end that leaves us hanging, the rather obvious writing and forbidden love all made it feel like a story I'd already read.

That said - the plot twists spiced it up quite a bit for me. If you HAVEN'T read Twilight already( (all five of you out there), or if you LOVED Twilight, then this book is for you. I know it will absolutely appeal to young adults who like a little bit of gore mixed up with a pretty good love story. As much as I've tried, I just cannot be thrilled to read actual bloody mouthed vampire stories. I don't feel like I wasted time on this one, but I won't be picking up the sequel either (assuming there will be one). For the RIP Challenge next year, I'm going to try a mystery :)

3 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Yup, I'm one of the five. :( I accidentally read a spoiler for breaking dawn and now I don't feel like I need to read it. My little sister is reading it, though, and I had lots of fun taunting her with the fact that I know how it ends. She's 16 and very fun to tease. :)

Stephanie said...

I think I'm number 2 of the five then! I did read this one though. And I really enjoyed it.

Nice review!

Andi said...

I just finished this one tonight and found your review via Carl's RIP III website. I've been reading vampire fiction for years (beginning with LJ Smith's The Vampire Diaries in the early 90s as a pre-teen), and I expected this one to be a let down, quite honestly. A Twilight knockoff. I was surprisingly...surprised! lol I thought there was enough originality to set it apart and keep me from getting bored. I liked the "twist" a good deal. Glad you liked it well enough! Planning to read the second book in the series, Stargazer?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...