Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The King's Equal by Katherine Paterson

book 4 of 8 for the Hans Christian Andersen Award Challenge

I read this one out loud to two of my children over three short sessions. They really enjoyed it and never wanted to stop reading. It's fairy tale/morality tale with Russian overtones - a greedy prince, a beautiful goat-herding peasant woman and a friendly wolf. The prince can only marry a woman who is his "equal" in every way, but it takes the prince learning a few lessons from the "poor" commoner before HE is worthy of his bride.

I think older children might find it a bit dull and predictable, but my 8 and 5 year old really loved it. As an adult, I felt it was a bit predictable for my taste, but really, it IS a fairy tale, so what can I expect? :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...