Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Owly: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton

book 3 of 6 for the graphic novel challenge

Owly. I have yet to meet a more lovable, empathetic, warm-and-fuzzy graphic novel character. His mild adventures take him around his forest home as he makes new animal friends and helps them along the way. The theme of friendship is so cleverly played out as Owly interacts with Worm and the Hummingbirds, without ever getting sappy or slow. The wordless format is perfect for older children who might be struggling with text - and yet, for myself, I liked how it made me imagine my own text in my head. It would be fun to hear an early reader "read" this book aloud. Owly is a great introduction to graphic novels or a fabulous addition to any collection.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...