Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel


It took me a few chapters to get into this story, but then it took off, with one adventure on top of the next. Matt is a cabin boy on an cruise-ship-type airship and his love of flight makes the Aurora the perfect home for him - until some air pirates choose the Aurora for their next raid and a storm wreaks havoc on the ship. This young adult story is an interesting mix of elements from Treasure Island, the movie Titanic, and Life of Pi, with plenty of perilous exploits, bizarre creatures, island castaways and a small sprinkle of romance.

I really liked the alternative-world that Oppel created. It was so incredibly like our own - and yet, with different metals, different gases, just slightly different place names, and a time period that is Victorian and modern at the same time. The only thing that really was hard for me is that my lack of ship vocabulary made it sometimes hard for me to imagine the action - lots of bows and sterns and starboards that I had to just accept were probably wrong in my head.

But really, if you are a young adult fiction lover, this was a good story. A bit predictable at the end, perhaps, but great adventure none the less.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...