Friday, March 21, 2008

The Courageous Princess by Rod Espinosa


I don't feel like I am able to judge this graphic novel very well. It's the first "manga" I've ever read - although I watched several different manga movies when I was a child, so the look of all the characters is comfortingly familiar to me. The dialogue was just so cheesy, and I don't know if that's just what you get with manga or if this happened to be a cheesy one.

Mabelrose is quite a courageous princess, after she figures out that no prince is going to fall for her on her beauty (or lack) alone. Many different fairy tales were interwoven throughout the story (including the Wizard of Oz, Rapunzel, Snow White, The Magic Flute...) as she tries to escape from various dragons, tyrannical tiger kings and speaking animals. I thought the drawings were well done and I wasn't particulary bored reading it, I guess there just wasn't much to it in terms of depth.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...